Employment agency (Agentur für Arbeit)
The employment agency advises employees and employers in all matters concerning the employment and training market. The core responsibilities of the employment agency are:
- Facilitate in the placement of trainees and employees
- Career planning
- Employer consulting services
- Funding of vocational training
- Funding of continuing education
- Funding of vocational rehabilitation of people with a disability
- Assistance for maintaining and creating new jobs
- Monetary compensation, e.g. unemployment benefits or insolvency payments.
You can also visit the Virtual Welcome Center of the International Placement Services (Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung – ZAV) to inquire about working in Germany. They can provide you with information and materials in different languages and will direct you to the right person, who can help you further, if you need personal consultation. The various services offered by the employment agency (Agentur für Arbeit) are free and open to the public.
The Jobcenter serves people who are entitled to social assistance (Arbeitslosengeld II). The Jobcenter is responsible for integrating recipients back into the work force or education and to provide financial sustenance. Enquire directly at the Jobcenter to find out if you are eligible to receive financial assistance. Applications and forms, as well as information in multiple languages can be downloaded from the Jobcenter homepage.